An ideal weekday supper for gluten-free friends, not as tricky as you think.
Bacon and asparagus risotto
Serves two (generously!)
1 small onion, diced
half a pack of asparagus tips, chopped
4 rashers of bacon, rind removed and chopped
half a mug of Arborio rice
1 Knorr chicken stock pot (or other GF option)
600ml boiling water
splash of white wine
1) Heat some oil and butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and asparagus and soften for around 5 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, add the stock pot to a separate saucepan and add the boiling water. Stir to dissolve the stock pot. Keep it on a low heat to gently simmer.
3) Add the bacon to the onion and asparagus and sauté until cooked.
4) Add the rice to the pan and stir to fully incorporate.
5) Add the splash of wine and allow it to evaporate and be absorbed before adding your first ladle of stock.
6) Wait until the stock as mostly been absorbed before adding a second. Keep adding stock in this manner for the next 20 minutes.
7) Test the rice to check it is cooked through. Add a knob of butter and a generous grated amount of Parmesan and stir through.
8) Serve, with extra Parmesan on top to complete the dish.