Throughout the cold, wintery months, soup becomes one of my main food groups, alongside mashed potato and chocolate. This recipe is simplicity itself.
Root Vegetable Soup
Makes 5 servings
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into thin pieces
1 small onion, peeled and diced
3 small carrots, peeled and diced
1 small turnip, peeled and diced (bit of theme going here)
1 potato, peeled and diced (the photograph shows two, but my pot could only cope with one)
1 good chicken stock cube (I used Kallo because they’re gluten-free)
dried mixed herbs
1) Place all of your chopped vegetables in a large pot. Add an amount of herbs that suits your palate.
2) Dissolve the stock cube in boiling water and add to the pot. Top up with more water in order to cover the vegetables.
3) Bring the mix to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for approximately 25mins, until the vegetables are very tender.
4) Remove the lid and allow to cool slightly before adding the mixture to a blender. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the capacity of your equipment.
5) Return the blended soup to a clean saucepan to warm through. Test for seasoning, you may need a little pinch of salt and pepper to maximise the flavour.