This is the recipe for the last week before pay day, when you are more reliant on the scraps in your store cupboard than ever before. A warm bowl of this accompanied me throughout University.
Makes 6 portions (freezable!)
1 green pepper, sliced thinly
1 medium or 2 small onions, sliced and diced
Can of chopped tomatoes
Can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
Carton of passata
Mug of frozen vegetable mix
1tbsp tomato paste, dissolved in a little water
3tbsp red lentils
Spray olive oil
Salt and pepper
Taco/Mexican spice/Texan blend – to taste
- Coat a large pan with olive oil spray and heat. Saute the onion and green pepper until soft. Add the mugful of frozen veg and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the spice mix and the kidney beans and stir. Season, and add the sugar.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, passata and dissolved tomato paste. Taste test to see if your mix needs more spice, more salt or more of whatever you fancy. Bring the concoction to the boil.
- Add the lentils and a mug of water. Cover and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring intermittently to ensure the lentils don’t stick.
- Serve with a rice of your choice.