If you want to talk about comfort food, oozing with cheese sauce and a crispy topping, I will reply with this beauty. Don’t do what I did and forget to season your cheese sauce.
Broccoli cheese pasta bake
As much broccoli as you and your companion care for (I like it, he doesn’t)
150g gluten free pasta
20g gluten free plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
50g strong cheese plus 2tbsp
2tbsp dried gluten free breadcrumbs
1) Put your broccoli on to steam and cook your pasta. I’m not going to teach you how to suck eggs, we all have our ways.
2) Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour. Stir until fully combined and smooth. Return to the heat for a few seconds to cook the two together.
3) Remove that pan from the heat once more, and add a small amount of milk. Stir until fully combined. Keeping adding and stirring, but leave 50ml or so at the end.
4) Return to the heat and stir stir stir! Keep your eyes on the prize so you can witness the magic of white sauce forming before you. Turn down to a low heat whilst you drain the broccoli and pasta. Put these in an ovenproof dish.
5) Add the cheese to the sauce, leaving the extra tablespoons for the top. Stir to melt the cheese, then season.
6) Pour the sauce onto the mixed pasta and broccoli, then stir to cover it all in cheesy goodness. Sprinkle the cheese and breadcrumbs on top, then grill for 10 minutes until golden and crispy.