We’ve had the delectable veggie version, and now something for the carnivores.
Makes 5 portions
250g lean free range mince beef
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 garlic glove, peeled
1 mug full of frozen mixed veg
1 can kidney beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree, dissolved in a little water
a pinch of sugar
2tsp Cajun spice mix (or 1tsp cumin plus 1tsp chilli powder)
1) Add a splash of sunflower oil to a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté.
2) Add the frozen veg and continue to cook until they and the onions have softened. Grate the garlic into the pan (I find this way, you avoid clumps of garlic – my knife skills are poor).
3) Crumble the mince into the pan and cook until no pink colour remains.
4) Drain and rinse your kidney beans before adding them to the pan. Sprinkle over the spices, seasoning and sugar. Stir until fully coated.
5) Add the chopped tomatoes. Fill the can with water and add this to the mix. Add the dissolved tomato puree. Stir. Taste test to check the seasoning matches your palate. You may need more chilli, or more salt. Check and adjust until it suits you.
6) Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for twenty minutes.
Chilli is the ultimate leftover food because the flavours get a chance to mingle and develop. I eat chilli cold, is that odd?