You might think now is not the time for soup, what with the melting temperatures, but it’s sort of like tea. And there’s always time for tea.
Spiced sweet potato soup
Makes 3 generous bowls
1 medium sweet potato (approx 400g), peeled and diced
1 medium parsnip (approx 170g), peeled and diced
2 carrots (approx 200g), peeled and diced
2 onions (approx 200g), peeled and roughly chopped
mild chilli powder
500ml chicken stock (I made mine using a GF Kallo stock cube)
1) Add all the vegetables to a suitable soup-making pan. Scatter spices over them, make it suit your palate then stir thoroughly.
2) Pour over the stock, topping up with extra hot water to ensure the vegetables are covered. Bring to the boil.
3) Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft and your kitchen smells like a dream.
4) Allow the mixture to cool slightly before blitzing in batches and returning the silky liquor to a clean saucepan.
5) Heat gently, check seasoning, adjust at will, then serve.